Bringing Together Ayurveda and Yoga
Ayur Yoga Organics represents a return to complete wellness, bringing together the ancient sciences of Yoga and Ayurveda. The concept of using natural dyes made from plants, minerals and herbs as part of a health promoting lifestyle is rooted in Ayurveda.
Ayur Yoga Mats – are eco-friendly, hand loomed and dyed with Ayurvedic Herbs for their medicinal properties – to fight diabetes, skin ailments and other respiratory disorders. It’s based on the basic Ayurvedic principle that regular contact with yarn that is infused with wild crafted herbs and medicinal plant extracts provides health benefits. In this case therepeautic benefits happen through touch: as the skin comes into contact with the herb-infused fabric it will receive the benefits and energies of the herbs.
Ayur Sun Mat
Invigorating with Turmeric, Neem, Tulsi
Ayur Earth Mat
Balancing with Red Sandalwood, Neem, Tulsi
Ayur Moon Mat
Calming with Vetiver, Neem, Tulsi
Ayur Jupiter Mat
Energizing with Turmeric, Red Sandalwood, Tulsi
More than Just a Mat
Aromatherapy – simply inhale the benefits of these Ayurvedic herbs:
Turmeric – anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, alleviates pain
Tulsi – the “Queen of Herbs”, improves respiratory disorders
Neem – anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, boosts immune system
Vetiver – calming and soothing effect on mind and body
Pomegranate – anti-oxidant, anti- microbial and anti-inflammatory
Red Sandalwood – digestive issues and blood purification
100% Organic cotton & jute yarn
Ayurvedic plant based dyes
Unique patented weave designs
Natural rubber anti-slip grip
Pre-shrunk prevents color fading
Travel Light – roll or fold
Wash in cold water
Size – L 72″ inch x w 27″
Weight – 3 lbs
Thickness – 5mm
How to Move with your Ayur Yoga Mat
Nidhi’s experience of her very first Ayur Yoga Mat @my_ayurvedic_life.
“My flow is not perfect! But my Mat is!
Very grateful for this traditional mat by @ayuryogaorganics
I learned yoga when I was 8 on a mat like this. It belonged to my grandfather. And while the sentimental value was tremendous, it is also an invaluable asset for the yogi! Here is why:
1 Yoga should be practiced on mat made with natural materials as they have the ability to hold your energies and vibrations better. All meditative practices insist on natural fabric mats for this reason. Your breath and your intention reside on your mat!
2 The good grip rubber mats are not so good as they allow your muscles to give way. Your mat is not what is supposed to prevent you from slipping. Your strength is what should keep you in place. New York Times had a long article on how rubber mats are a big cause for Yoga injuries.
3 The best feature of this mat is this it has horizontal markings on each side. They help me to perfectly line my warriors and other asanas while helping me to monitor my progress.
What more, my mat is infused with sandalwood and other elements that help with grounding! Couldn’t have given myself a better gift for Christmas ”
How Do I Care For My Mat?
Great question. This is what I found works best.
1. Spot clean for small stains, with solution of cold water and eco-friendly laundry detergent that has no bleach.
2. Hand wash with cold water and mild detergent.
3. For a deeper clean you can place in washing machine with eco-friendly detergent in cold wash, gentle cycle.
4. Air dry out of direct sunlight.
5. Wash occasionally only when needed.
The mat is infused with neem which has natural anti-bacterial properties to protect the mat from bacteria.
The cotton has been infused with the herbs and they will not be washed out. This process of dying the herbs is 5,000 years old, as old Ayurveda itself. You will see that the mats do not lose their color and that means that the turmeric, neem, tulsi, red sandalwood, has not been washed out.
Ayur Yoga Mats are designed for sweat absorption.
These mats were traditionally used in India, where the climate is much warmer than here and without air conditioning. The purpose of these mats was to provide a natural fiber foundation, to create a space on which to practice. Natural fibers are able to hold the vibrations and energies of the body unlike synthetic materials.
1. These mats are a natural Ayurvedic alternative to micro fiber towels. The cotton fibers are able to absorb sweat from our bodies. Unlike a sticky mat which just becomes slippery these mats respond well to being more wet and moist. This mat is designed to absorb sweat so that you don’t slip.
2. The ingenious design and wisdom in these mats is why we’ve included Neem and Tulsi in every mat.
Neem is one of the most effective and potent, herbs found in Ayurveda, known for its antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-fungal effects. This will provide natural protection for your mat from bacteria and fungal of any kind. Along with Tulsi which is also know for its anti-bacterial and anti-viral effects.
3. You can use a simple lavender/water spray before or after your practice. The water spray also allows for greater grip in the beginning.
3. If you sweat profusely and you do notice that your mat has an odor, when you get home just let it dry in the house or air dry it.
4. If it needs to be washed, you can put under a cold water shower and rinse. Or you can place in bath tub with mild solution. Then simply air dry.
5. Needs a wash – you can place in washing machine with mild detergent and gentle wash.